Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Old South

This weekend I decided to give myself a break from all the studying, and fly down to Atlanta to meet my parents. Since it wasn't my first time in Atlanta, I had already visited the main attractions like Atlanta Zoo, the Coca-Cola Museum, CNN headquarter, and the Georgia Aquarium (which are definitely worth seeing!); however, this gave me the opportunity of discovering some new places in Atlanta. I started my day with a walk around the neighborhood, which was incredibly beautiful and I enjoyed it very much, also due to the circumstance that we had amazing weather, with a lot of sunshine and temperatures over 20 degrees. Having lived in Ohio for over 1 1/2 months by now, this was a change which was more than welcome, which is why I enjoyed every minute of this. Because of the warm temperatures it already felt like spring, which is why my father and I decided to take a short trip to the lovely city of Madison, Georgia, which is about an hour away from Atlanta.


Even though Madison is a fairly small town it is just lovely, and a perfect representation of a Southern town. Since there isn't much to do in town than visiting a few small museums, for which the weather was just too nice, we decided to walk around town. There are many houses which were built in the 1820s, and while walking around you feel like you been sent back in time, because the houses just look exactly like they did almost 200 years ago (which is also why it was the set for quite a lot of movies portraying the South). After we spent a couple of hours in Madison, we headed back to Atlanta, which could actually take a while because of the traffic, which can be an interesting experience when it's your first time driving on a street which has 8 lanes (as it was for me). Our day ended with a walk around Oakland Cemetery, which, I know, sounds like a weird thing to do, taking a walk on a cemetery. It is, however, actually a beautiful place and the people of Atlanta like to visit it as well, or even organize concerts there.

 Unfortunately, the weekend went by way too fast, but it was a great trip and I enjoyed every minute of the good weather I could get. For everybody thinking about where to go to in the South - Atlanta is definitely worth the visit! Whether you check out the main attractions in the city, do some shopping, or take an evening walk on the beltline: Atlanta shows itself from its "Schokoladenseite", by being a diverse and lively city full of adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment