Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Athens Life

Time is flying by and we almost made it to Spring Break, the half of the semester. But before that we have to conquer all of the midterms, which should be possible with a great amount of caffeine, food, and Elvis Presley music in Donkey’s. Since the last post, students of Ohio University have protested against the American presidents executive order that put a hold on immigration of certain Middle Eastern countries. The protest ended with 70 arrests of student, who started a sit-in in Baker Center to make OU a sanctuary place. Of course we attended this rally but also left before the sit-in to not get arrested, our visas taken away, and kicked out of this country. The great disappointment of everyone in Leipzig would have been too much! (On the other hand, it would have been a joy to see Eric trying to desperately safe us.) Further, this weather in this town is absolutely mental. We have these very cold days but we also have days such as yesterday, where we could walk around in shorts and a t-shirt. How can people still ignore the climate change? Sometimes I wonder.. What else happened? Lena and I went grocery shopping the other day and when we wanted to take the bus back to our places, someone stopped for us and asked if she could give us a ride. Turns out she is the nicest and sweetest person on this planet earth, who was given the name Space by God twenty years ago somewhere on a ranch in the Midwest. As much as I dislike this country sometimes, it also has these wonderful, crazy individuals whose stories just make your day. (She also gave us soap, which she makes and sells! – I just loved it.)
            The plan for Spring Break will be to spend some days in Washington, D.C., and then maybe another two days in Columbus with one of my roommates. I am very much looking forward to it. I really wanted to go to the National Museum of African-American History and Culture, but the next tickets one can get are for May. So, I will have to go back and plan a head the next time. But I am sure the other millions of museums will keep me busy. I will now continue to study, thanks to the great people here at Donkey, Queen will entertain me for next few minutes!


P.S. I still have not found a place to develop my ten films for a descent price. Problems of the 21st century!



No comments:

Post a Comment