Tuesday, August 1, 2017

New York City

For the last weekend of July I decided that it was time to go to another city again, so on Saturday I flew to New York to meet Annika and Jojo. This time was, luckily, very different from the last time when I went over spring break, simply because the weather was so much nicer. I was very pleased with the weather up in the "north", since it really was a break from the hot and humid weather down in Atlanta. Even though it was warm, it was much nicer to walk around the city and explore new things. Every time I go to New York it is an adventure, and I get to see new things or different parts of the city. We took it easy on our first day and just walked around Manhattan, went to different shops in SoHo and simply enjoyed the New York atmosphere. After a while, as we realized it was time for dinner we walked over the Brooklyn Bridge, even though I already did that several times it's a great experience every time you do it. After we managed to get to the other side, passing hundreds of tourists, cyclists, and joggers, we enjoyed a walk alongside the river to watch the incredible sunset over Manhattan. I took approximately 743 pictures of the scenery, simply because I couldn't get enough. I think we got home around 12am that night, pretty much immediately falling asleep after this long day.

We didn't have much time to rest though, since Jojo and I had tickets for the Rockefeller Center the next morning at 9, which is something I always wanted to see. Surprisingly, there weren't that many people around when we got there, even though it quickly got more crowded, luckily I was able to take my photos before that happened. A couple of years ago I went to the Empire State building, which was really impressive, but I always wanted to see the Top of the Rocks and I was really happy that I got to see it this time.
 Since we already paid a little fortune to go up there and see it, we thought that we might as well pay a little bit more to be able to see the incredibly view twice in one day, so 12 hours later I got to see Manhattan by night for the first time, and I'm still stunned by its beauty. I took way too many pictures to post all of them, but I tried to at least show some of the best ones. On Sunday we also went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, followed by quite a long search for a little shop with Cornflakes ice cream, and a stroll through Central Park.
 On Monday morning we walked through the Financial District down to Battery Park, to see Miss Liberty at least from the distance. We really wanted to go to the 9/11 Memorial Museum, but it was pretty expensive and we didn't have that much time left so we just walked around outside, which was beautiful but moving as well. There are still so many things in New York I wished I had seen, and as always there is never enough time. However, I'm just happy that I was able to have this incredibly fun weekend, I got to see my friends again, and a different city as well. Jojo went back to Hamburg on Monday night, and I'll already see Annika again next week, so there isn't even time to be sad. I can't believe that there are only 1 1/2 weeks left of my internship, and only one month until I'm going back home. I'm already so excited, but I'm also really looking forward to all of the things I have planned for the coming month. On August 12, Annika and I are going on another road trip, this time down to New Orleans and the gulf of Mexico, followed by one week on the West Coast in California with my Dad.






No comments:

Post a Comment