Friday, June 30, 2017

Heavy Rain & Fundraising Deadlines

Completely off topic, but one of my favorite pictures from
 Georgia Aquarium, which I visited a couple of weeks ago!
That's it, those four words pretty much describe the month of June. Well, I'm kidding (only a little bit though), because in retrospective the past weeks actually feel like I haven't done much but working and watching the rain from inside. The rain is an interesting phenomenon here in Atlanta; in the beginning when my coworkers seemed overprotective and warned me repeatedly about the heavy rain I was thinking "well, they're probably just nice and overcautious", but as I soon would learn: they are not. I believe it was last week when I was on my way home from work, taking my beloved 8 lanes on I85, I encountered the perfect example of Atlanta heavy rain. Usually, it is a common thing in Atlanta to ignore speed limits of any kind and drive at least 20 miles faster than allowed, however, not so much on this day. On a street where people normally drive carelessly around 120km/h, it was 30-40km/h on that day. I could barely see anything but lights in front of me, even though my windshield wipers were on their highest level. Rain was pouring down the bridges in little waterfalls and my only thought was to get home safely. The lawn next to my apartment turned into a small lake, and streets looked more like rivers, but I made it! It was an interesting experience though, and I definitely won't underestimate the crazy weather in this city.

As I said, work was a lot, especially this past weak. The disclosure was June 30 by midnight, which means that candidates are trying to get in as many donations as possible to look good when they publish their fundraising results for the past quarter. This also means, however, that everybody was working every minute they could spare at the office, which led to a lot of hangry and sleep deprived people.
To keep a healthy balance I tried to do some fun and relaxing things besides working, which was hanging out in Decatur, drinking iced coffee and having the best chocolate croissant ever, or having even more food on my balcony.

I feel like food is such an essential part of my life these days, whether it is trying food in new places, or at fancy restaurants in which I'm lucky enough to work for our many fundraising events (which are really interesting, by the way.) I'm honestly so glad that this week is over and we survived the month of June (everybody at my office is), and I'm looking forward to some fireworks on the 4th of July next week, and even more to my trip to Miami on which I am going next Friday. In Miami I'll actually meet Jojo, an American Studies alumni and a good friend of mine, and I'm already very excited to spend some time in Miami and show her around in Atlanta the week after. I'm sure that I'll have some great photos and even better stories to tell after next weekend, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment