Thursday, May 18, 2017

A new start

It’s already been a week since I came to Georgia to start a new chapter of my journey in the city of Atlanta. I was a bit sad that we had to leave Charleston, South Carolina, simply because it was incredibly beautiful and so relaxing, and we had such a great time (you can read about this in Annika’s post!). However, I was excited to go to Atlanta, since it meant living in a completely different environment than I had encountered it for the past months in Athens. My internship started Monday, May 15, and so far I’m very much enjoying it; there are 7 other interns who work with me and I really like them. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you too many details about our clients, since I am working for a political consulting company which includes a lot of confidential information about candidates and campaigns. It is fascinating to work this closely with candidates who are running for city council, state representative, or even senator, and I’m learning something new every day.


Besides my internship, I very much enjoy living in the South. The weather is great, we have around 30 degrees every day and the sun is always shining, except for some showers and the occasional thunderstorm due to the heat from time to time, and I feel like the sun is giving me some energy and motivation back I sometimes lacked in Ohio. Summer classes have already started and it can be quite stressful sometimes to go to work and have school at the same time. However, there are millions of great places to explore, and things to discover in this beautiful city, so I’m taking my time to really explore everything by wandering around town (to be honest, I’m mostly driving everywhere because people don’t walk here). This weekend I’m moving into my apartment, which is in Decatur, a lovely part of Atlanta with lots of little shops, bars, restaurants, and spaces to hang out and relax. As I sent my new address to a friend at home, she sent me a screenshot of a Wikipedia article where Decatur is described as “one of the South’s Tastiest Towns”, and by the New York Times it was called “Atlanta’s gastronomic equivalent of Berkeley or Brooklyn”. I’m very excited to live there over the summer, and now you might understand why that’s the case. Until now, I didn’t have the chance to take a lot of pictures of my new neighborhood, but this will definitely be something you can look forward to in my next post. So far I've been living with my dad in his hotel, since he's in Atlanta for two weeks and this is the view from our room; I'm sorry for the blurry photo but I just wanted to share this great view on Midtown and Downtown with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment